Lately I have been trying to swap a second cup of coffee for a mid-day matcha "treat", a matcha latte or a smoothie with a heaping scoop of the antioxidant-rich green tea powder. I love this matcha kale smoothie because it is creamy, a touch sweet, and helps me push thru that afternoon slump. Give it a try!
Matcha Kale Smoothie
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (homemade is best!)
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 tablespoon matcha green tea powder
- Handful of fresh kale, washed with center rib/stem removed and roughly chopped
- Splash of honey (optional, for sweetness)
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds (I prefer the white chia seeds)
- Combine above ingredients in a high-power blender and blend until smooth, serve immediately. Enjoy!
A few tips for making smoothies:
- Use homemade almond milk, if possible, for the best flavor
- Freeze your bananas (if even just 30 minutes or an hour before)
- If you like a sweeter smoothie, add a few chopped/pitted dates or a splash of honey
- Use organic ingredients, whenever possible
- Stock your freezer with frozen fruit (you won't have to worry about your fruit going bad and you will always have some options on hand!)
- To thicken a smoothie, you can always add a handful of ice
- If your smoothie is too thick, try to thin with a little extra liquid. I like to add a few splashes of coconut water.
Images by Ariana Clare, www.arianaclare.com.