Earlier this month we traveled to San Diego as a family ready to enjoy all the glorious things Southern California has to offer. We have been wanting to take the boys out west for some time but have been hesitant given the long flight and time change. We decided to just go for it and the boys did awesome. This trip had something for everyone - great weather, amazing food, and attractions (hello Legoland and the zoo!).
- Hotel del Coronado: If you want to stay right on the beach and only a few minutes from downtown San Diego this is a great option. It is family friendly and we really enjoyed being at the beach! The small town of Coronado is super cute and we enjoyed walking around the area.
- Oscars Mexican Seafood: We enjoyed lunch at Oscars (post our visit to the San Diego Zoo). Delicious tacos and guacamole. Be sure to try the rice and beans!
- Clayton's Coffee Shop (Coronado): If you are staying in Coronado, Clayton's is a great spot for breakfast. The coffee is fresh and the eggs cooked to perfection. The boys enjoyed buttermilk (Mickey Mouse) pancakes and sitting at the counter. They also have a street-side window serving donuts, coffee, smoothies, etc.
- Madison: A must try for weekend brunch. The space is absolutely stunning and the food is just as good. They won me over with their avocado toast.
- Ironside: Little Italy downtown San Diego is a foodie heaven and this highly recommended place did not disappoint. We got a great seat on the patio and enjoyed dinner with the boys. I would recommend the peel 'n' eat shrimp, Ironside bread, and fish & chips! I promise you won't leave hungry.
- La Jolla: Take a drive to La Jolla and see the amazing coastline at the La Jolla Cove. There is plenty to do in the area, with shops, dining, and hotels all within walking distance.
- San Diego Zoo: We loved the zoo! I am typically not a zoo person (animals in cages), but this zoo is amazing. The boys loved it. It is really special and a great time for all. Tip: start with the bus tour so you can preview the grounds and take note of specific exhibits you want to see. This helped us plan our time.
- Legoland: I am not a huge fan of amusement parks but we had a great time at Legoland. There was something for everyone (cotton candy please!). Cruz road his first rollercoaster (and is still talking about it), while Roman kept asking me to hold him on the carousel ride (haha!). The park had rides and interactive attractions for all ages. We did the waterpark too, which in hindsight we wish we would have skipped (everyone was tired and doing Legoland was more than enough!).
- The Pendry: I love a great boutique hotel, so when my friend told me to check this one out downtown San Diego I couldn't resist. Boutique hotels don't always make sense when traveling as a family (hence Coronado), but next time I'm in San Diego I will be staying here. We stopped for a quick coffee on the way to the airport on our last morning. The place is a must see (if you are into gorgeous interiors like me).
It's hard not to love California! San Diego we hope to see you again soon!
Images taken and edited on my iPhone.