The flare denim jean is back and further confirms the 70s bohemian vibe we are seeing this fall.
Like many, I have asked the question whether to jump onboard or continue to live in my skinny denim. I decided to take my question to wardrobe stylist Whitley Hamlin of the Queen City Style to figure out how best to wear the trend. She quickly reminds me that a trend is personal and should never be forced. Over coffee Whitley takes me on a virtual tour of her top picks and shows me how the look can be taken from casual to dressy.
For a casual look pair with a flannel shirt, a flowy top or a poncho. To make a statement and capitalize on the bohemian try a headscarf. Transition from day to night with a darker wash and a tucked silk blouse, fitted blazer, cropped jacket or short poncho. Whether casual or dressy, the jean needs a shoe with some height. Whitley styles it with a platform or a stiletto bootie or more refined heel for the evening.
Regardless of the trend, Whitley feels it is important to “keep it simple” and not over do it. For example, “a pair that is distressed with a large flare and ragged hem is too much”. A rich wash, clean hem and subtle (yet unique) pockets win her top picks.
1. Citizens of Humanity Fleetwood High Rise Flare Jeans (Named after Whitley's favorite band).
2. AG The Janis Flare Jeans (Anyone can wear this one, named after the queen of bell bottoms).
3. MiH Marrakesh Flare Jeans (Another favorite, in black).
4. 7 for All Mankind Braided Fashion Flare Jeans (Love the braided detail on waistband and pockets).
5. McGuire Denim The Principle Mid Rise Flare Jeans (Great front square pockets).
6. Seafarer Circe Flare Jeans (A nice high rise option).
7. MiH Marrakesh High Rise Flare Jean (Love the front welt pocket detail).
1. J Brand The Doll High Waist Bell Bottom Jean (Love the dark wash).
2. MOTHER The Runaway Skinny Flare Jeans (For just a touch of "flare").
3. Rag & Bone/JEAN The Justine Wide Leg Jeans (We could not resist the overdyed hem).
Whitley Hamlin is a wardrobe stylist and the creative behind The Queen City Style. She lives in Charlotte, NC with her husband and two boys.